Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Naming fantasy book characters

Imogen Russell Williams in the Guardian's book blog has an enjoyable rant/discussion about the names of characters in fantasy novels.  As I've been working my way through the audio books of Naomi Novik's Temeraire series (so I'll be absolutely ready for the next volume later this year), this conclusion about Novik being a superb namer rang true with me:

Naomi Novik, whose dragon breeds range from the sturdily English (Regal Copper, Winchester) to the sneakily French (the dark Fleur-de-Nuit, used for night attacks, and the Flamme-de-Gloire, a dangerous fire-breather).


Could be a good piece to share with your English teachers.  I'm sure kids would have sturdy opinions on character names. (Gratuitous insertion of one of the book covers - love those black and white UK edition covers!).

The Guardian's online Books site has so many wonderful resources.  Worth checking regularly.
 
Cheers

Ruth

No comments: