Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Scott Westerfeld (esp. Peeps)

In the recent holidays I skidded through Scott Westerfeld's Uglies trilogy - Uglies, Pretties, Specials. (I've saved Extras for later).  Excellent sf, I don't think they'd skew to one gender more than another, and as previously mentioned, they catch the Twilightery crowd too.








I also read Peeps.  Oh my goodness, that was FUN!  I ignored several important things to keep reading, and don't give two hoots.  It's funny, and clever, and has really really disgusting detail about real parasites, as well as a fraffly clever idea about the origins and purposes of vampires.  Horror, adventure, a mention here and there that would probably suggest prereading if you're catering to a primary school audience and just a wonderful voice and energy.  Terrific stuff.



Scott Westerfeld has a website here; a blog here; a finish-your-author-assignment factsheet here; is interviewed here; and there's a TV spot on YouTube that I'll put below (but which may not, of course, work on your net connection if it's blocked by your server.  So the link's provided, too).










Summer reading spot on You Tube link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=XZ8talx7vmE



Peeps cover image from Amazon.co.uk.

No comments: