Monday, June 15, 2009

The happy life of teacher librarians: one like Twilight, please

Sometimes it's hard to overestimate the impact Twilight has had on kids' reading.  Apart from the obvious (we have five copies of the first book, multiples of the rest and rarely any on the shelf, plus steady reservations going onto the computer) - it's become a touchstone.  I had this brought home to me again today when a junior English class was in borrowing free choice nonfiction for a class assignment.

"I can't find a book, miss".

"Any ideas, or topics that you're particularly interested in?"

"I want one like Twilight.  It's the only book I've read.  Something to keep me reading like that did."

There's an interesting challenge, isn't it?  We did some fossicking among biographies -  unfortunately Chinese Cinderella and Falling Leaves were out - all our copies of those.  We had one copy of Hana's Suitcase, and various other ones that caught their eye, and in the end they all found something. 

What would you suggest, for a nonfiction book "like Twilight"?  And I'm still thinking over all the implications of "the only book I've ever read".  Whether or not it IS, that's their perception.

Cheers, Ruth

No comments: