Monday, April 28, 2008

Can the cellphone help end global poverty?

One of the things I've always appreciated about the internet, for my students as well as myself, is the opportunity to sit in our school and read newspapers we may never have seen in paper form, or which may have been just impossible to access in any easy way. The chance thereby to read other points of view, other perspectives on the world.

For myself, it's years since I read a paper New York Times, but online, well...

A recent longer NYT article on mobile phones (cellphones) and the third world is a great example of something worth reading - with relevance in Business Studies, Commerce, Design and Technology, to name just three. And just interesting anyway (oh, I do like the NYT film reviews and articles, too).

The teacher librarian's challenge becomes connecting students with such resources; alerting them to possibilities in the internet jungle.

No comments: