Friday, September 18, 2009

GIFSL* 43: : The Twilight cabinet

One of the faculties around school took a cabinet off a wall they wanted for something else - and did I want the cabinet, because they didn't?  oooo yes please.
.
Hmmm, and where will I put it in a library that doesn't have a lot of spare walls? (oh, and also has brick walls, with bricks which don't like being drilled into At All).  After some cheerful negotiation with Eeyore the general assistant (a lovely man with a sadly lugubrious nature) and his partner in crime, Tigger, I manage to persuade them that the wall by the stairs would be dandy.  And no, we won't have to move the existing (adjacent) noticeboard. And yes, I know some of it will be behind the wire of the staircase side, but this also means it will be easy to look at things in it.  Pretty please?
.
They fixed it up over the last holidays.  It's a bog-standard DET pinboard-backed wall cabinet from school furniture.  Two tiny problems: the key to um, open it appears to be missing....
.
...Eeyore, bless him, finds one and one only that we dare not lose...
.
...and it won't open.  Tigger fixes that one with a bit of brute strength and soap on the runners. (He's less afraid of breaking glass than I am).
.
Yay!  We have a cabinet.
.
Now what to put in it?
.
Well, I could use it for all sorts of worthy educational displays.  Yup.  May well do that, on occasion.
.
But for now, it is devoted to material considered Extremely Worthy by the kids: Twilightery.
.
.
And do the kids love it, and pore over it?  Oh my giddy aunt, yes!  It is selected material - I aim to avoid gossip mag stuff about private lives, and put in things about the film and its making.  Thus, sometimes, I'll just use a picture I come across, and skip the article altogether.  The Twilight fans love it and the Twilight haters are able to vent in a very healthy way, while I chuckle at both.
.
It feels, amusingly, like I'm papering a teenage bedroom wall, or something like.  But it makes the library kid-friendlier, addresses something that really interests them, and turns a dead spot (the brick wall sans wall cupboard) into a feature.  And the locked cabinet lets the pieces survive...
.
I know I'm not the only TL with a Twilight display (but I won't name names!).  Even if you don't have a cabinet.  A window? Somewhere?
.
btw, the current issue of Dolly magazine has an extra mag with it - a Twilight special 'fanpire magazine' devoted entirely to Twilightery (and drooling over the film's stars).  The kids are enjoying that too (our Dolly magazines get literally read to pieces anyway).
.
Cheers
.
Ruth
.
PS I was of course astonished to find that my picnic accoutrements are so like those of Edward and Bella, as per one of the pictures there - I just will not stir from the house without a zebra skin rug, Persian carpet and assorted lavish cushions.  I mean, would you??????  !!!!! 
.

1 comment:

Fiona said...

LOOOOOVE this! Will show my daughter this afternoon after school - she will be suitably impressed. She is in Year 6 and hasn't started reading Dolly yet, I'm sure it won't be long...