From Flickr, used under a Creative Commons license.
Greg Landgraf has a short, sweet, to the point and pointed blog entry about 10 ways libraries matter in the digital age. Here are his main points:
- Libraries serve the disenfranchised.
- Libraries are a gathering place.
- Libraries are a first step to literacy.
- Libraries are there for all ages.
- Libraries help people use the internet.
- … And libraries help people use the internet better.
- Libraries are interested in your privacy.
- Libraries are hubs for preserving the past.
- Libraries are there in a crisis.
- Libraries offer the human touch.
Read the whole article here on the American Libraries site. I find lists like this useful to reflect on what my school library does, what my work is, what both are and could and should be.