- Greet every customer
- Be aware of non-verbal clues
- Restate the problem or question
- Be empathetic
- Provide alternatives to “No”
- Reserve judgment
- Get (back) to them as soon as possible
- Follow your gut instinct
- Thank them for using the library
Trust me. Go and read the entire article. Then (as I did) pat yourself on the back for what you do; and work out what you can do better, or start doing. One to share with all library staff. From a customer's point of view, that list is the service you'd like to get, isn't it?
And is this customer service replaced by the internet?
I think not.